Friday, June 3, 2011

Ok, ok, so here's what happened.

I was supposed to leave on Tuesday at 5:15. I got confused about my flight time and showed up waaaaaay too early (about 2:00), but that's ok, I just sat and read my book (Time Enough For Love by Heinlein). I even struck up a couple conversations with people in the airport. Something about the prospect of being shoved into a metal tube with a whole bunch of other people makes everyone a little more friendly. People would ask about where I was going and why and answer the same questions alike and think nothing of it. It's one of the reasons why I really like flying.
So. I boarded at 5:15, and we sat. And we sat. And we sat. Apparently the engine was overheated, so they tried to fix it, but no fix was being found. They gave us the option of either hopping on another flight to Houston and being put up in a hotel there, or re-booking for the next day, because most people, including me, had already missed their connecting flights at that point. At 7:00 I got off the plane and re-booked for the following day.
Hunter, who graciously dropped me off at the airport earlier, came and picked me up again and we went out for fajitas. Mexican food and BBQ are the two things I knew I'd miss most about Texas, and since we got BBQ for lunch at Stubbs(see picture), there was only one option for my second "last meal". Plus, margaritas did wonders for my mood. Then, because I'd never been, we drove down to the Alamo. That's right. On a Tuesday night. I got a palm frond with the intention of bringing a piece of Texas with me, but I forgot it. Oh well.
BBQ goes best with fried okra and local beer.
The next day I tried to travel again, and lo and behold, it worked this time! I was off the plane in Indianapolis by 5, and eating delicious Italian food soon thereafter. The first thing that struck me is how ridiculously green is is around here. The second thing was how much cooler it is. It was 86 when I got off the plane, and it hasn't been any warmer since. I was a little incredulous about the reality of being 1,000 miles away from where I was used to being, and that feeling comes back every time I step outside.
Yesterday Kyle and I went to Brown County State Park, and it was unbelievably beautiful. The views, the greenery, the weather. We packed a picnic lunch and ate part of it while looking out over a valley, and part at a neat stone table we found. We may go back there for a BBQ or something. I certainly hope so.
The view from the stone table.
A neat "fort" we found. Really more of a lookout tower.
The view from the bottom of the fort.

No comments:

Post a Comment